The Ultimate Guide to Sri Lanka Digital Nomad Visa
Are you a digital nomad looking for an exotic destination to live and work? Look no further than Sri Lanka! With its stunning landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and welcoming locals, Sri Lanka offers a unique opportunity for digital nomads to experience the best of both worlds. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about the Sri Lanka Digital Nomad Visa program, its benefits, eligibility requirements, and the application process. Get ready to embark on an unforgettable adventure while maintaining your remote work lifestyle in this tropical paradise.
WHAT IS THE SRI LANKA DIGITAL NOMAD VISA?
The Sri Lanka Digital Nomad Visa is a special visa program designed for remote workers and digital nomads who wish to live and work in Sri Lanka for an extended period. It provides an opportunity to experience the country’s vibrant culture, explore its breathtaking landscapes, and immerse yourself in the local community while continuing your professional endeavors.BENEFITS OF THE SRI LANKA DIGITAL NOMAD VISA:
- Extended Stay:
- Work-Life Balance:
- Cultural Immersion:
- Affordable Living:
IS THERE SRI LANKA DIGITAL NOMAD VISA?
Sri Lanka did not have a specific digital nomad visa program. However, digital nomads who want to work in Sri Lanka remotely can apply for a 30-day Sri Lanka ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization).
(ALTERNATIVE)SRI LANKA ELECTRONIC TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION (ETA)
Sri Lanka is considering introducing a special “Long-Term Stay ETA” or “Sri Lanka Digital Nomad ETA” to cater to remote workers and digital nomads. This ETA would serve as a temporary authorization that allows foreign nationals to reside in Sri Lanka while working remotely for an employer or clients based outside of Sri Lanka.
SRI LANKA ELECTRONIC TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION REQUIREMENTS
To apply for a Sri Lanka Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), you will need to fulfil the following requirements:
- Passport: You must have a valid passport with a minimum validity of six months beyond your intended stay in Sri Lanka.
- Eligible Country: Citizens of most countries are eligible to apply for the Sri Lanka ETA. However, it is essential to check the official Sri Lanka ETA website or consult with the nearest Sri Lankan embassy or consulate to confirm your eligibility.
- Purpose of Visit: The ETA is available for tourism, business, and transit purposes. You should select the appropriate purpose of visit when applying.
- Online Application: Complete the online application form on the official Sri Lanka ETA website.
- Personal Information: Provide accurate personal details such as your full name, date of birth, nationality, passport information, and contact details.
- Travel Details: Include information about your intended travel dates, port of arrival in Sri Lanka, and accommodation details.
- Supporting Documents: In most cases, no additional supporting documents are required for the ETA application. However, it is advisable to have a copy of your passport bio page and your return or onward ticket as they may be requested by immigration officials upon arrival in Sri Lanka.
- Payment: Pay the required ETA fee online using a valid credit or debit card.
- Valid Email Address: Provide a valid email address to receive the ETA approval notice.
VISA LENGTH:The Sri Lanka ETA allows for a maximum stay of 30 days in Sri Lanka. It is valid for a period of 180 days from the date of issuance, during which you can enter Sri Lanka multiple times as long as your total stay does not exceed 30 days.
INCOME REQUIREMENT:There are no specific income requirements for obtaining a Sri Lanka ETA. However, you may be required to provide proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS:To apply for a Sri Lanka ETA, you will need the following:
- Valid passport with a minimum validity of six months beyond your intended stay.
- A return or onward ticket.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses in Sri Lanka.
- A valid email address to receive the ETA approval notice.
HOW TO APPLY?
The application process for a Sri Lanka visa at an Embassy goes through these simple steps:
- You have to contact the nearest embassy or consulate of Sri Lanka.
- Complete the Sri Lanka application form and submit it to the embassy or consulate along with the visa fee, your passport, and the required documents.
- The embassy/consulate will forward your application to the Sri Lankan Department of Immigration & Emigration (DI&E).
- You will receive a visa application reference number. The embassy/consulate will notify you when your application has been processed. This usually takes about three working days.
- You go back to the embassy/consulate and receive your passport with the Sri Lanka visa attached.
There are three methods available for submitting a Sri Lanka visa application, depending on your nationality:
- Sri Lanka Visa on Arrival:
Citizens of certain countries can obtain a visa on arrival at the port of entry in Sri Lanka. This option is available for citizens of Maldives, Seychelles, and Singapore. Each country has specific conditions and duration of stay for the visa on arrival.
- Sri Lanka Visa Online (Electronic Travel Authorization – ETA):
Most nationalities, except for those listed in the next category, can apply for an ETA online. The ETA can be obtained in the following ways:
- Apply from your home country before traveling.
- Submit the ETA application directly through the official Sri Lanka ETA website.
- Pay the required fee and wait for the ETA to be processed. Processing usually takes about an hour.
- You will receive the outcome of your application via email or can check the status on the official website using the confirmation number provided.
- It is recommended to obtain the ETA before arriving in Sri Lanka to avoid waiting in line at the airport. Simply show the ETA to immigration officers upon arrival.
- Embassy Application:
Citizens of specific countries, including:
- Republic of the Congo
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Cote d’Ivoire
- North Korea
- Sierra Leone
Must apply for a Sri Lanka visa at the nearest Sri Lankan embassy or consulate.
HOW MUCH IS A VISA FOR SRI LANKA?
A Sri Lanka Visa Online (ETA) is:
- US$ 35 for a single or double-entry visa
- US$ 40 for a multiple-entry visa
- The transit visa is issued free of charge
- US$ 40 for a single or double-entry visa
- US$ 50 for a multiple-entry visa
- The transit visa is issued free of charge
Fees for Sri Lanka visas issued at the embassy/consulate are based on reciprocity and change from country to country.
The Sri Lanka Digital Nomad Visa provides a gateway to a truly unique digital nomad experience. Immerse yourself in Sri Lanka’s captivating culture, enjoy the island’s natural wonders, and embrace the warm hospitality of its people while pursuing your remote work lifestyle. With its affordability, beauty, and rich heritage, Sri Lanka is the perfect destination for digital nomads seeking a harmonious blend of work and adventure. Start planning your Sri Lankan digital nomad journey today and make memories that will last a lifetime.
Start Planning Your Sri Lanka Trip Now!
Book Your Flight:
Use Skyscanner to find a cheap flights. A travellers favorite way to book flights, as it searches websites and airlines around the world with one click.
Book Your Bus or Transportation Within Sri Lanka:
Book Your Accomodation:
Dont Forget Your Travel Insurance:
Two popular choices are SafetyWing and WorldsNomads. A traveler should buy traveler’s insurance to protect themselves against unexpected events such as trip cancellations, medical emergencies, and lost or stolen baggage. It provides peace of mind and financial protection in case of unforeseen circumstances.
Pick me- Local Transportation
Airbnb & Booking – Accomodation
PickMe Food – Food Delivery
Want More Information On Sri Lanka?
Be sure to check out my nomad travel guide on the Sri Lanka for even more tips
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase.